Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (or not-so-fun) Facts:
- Big Bird, from“Sesame Street”, is 8 feet, 2 inches tall.
- “Saved by the Bell: The New Class” lasted longer than the original“Saved by the Bell”. It had 143 episodes . . . the original show had 126.
- Joseph Stalin’s real last name was Dzhugashvili. (Zhoo-gush-vee-lee) He changed it to “Stalin” as he was rising to power . . . it means “man of steel.”
- Frank Sinatra had a fatal heart attack on May 14th, 1998 . . . right as the “Seinfeld” finale was on. Since so many people were inside watching, the traffic in Los Angeles was light and he was able to get to the hospital faster than usual. Not that it helped.
- Pumpernickel literally translates to “devil’s flatulence” in old German. It got its name because people found it hard to digest.
(Britannica / Wikipedia / Second World War / Gothamist / Wikipedia)
Strange and trending news:
- McDonald’s is selling Little Mermaid Happy Meals. (Full Story)
- Taco Bell is bringing back the Enchirito. (Full Story)
- Ice cream that tastes like Arizona iced tea now exists. (Full Story)
- Ozempic is the hot new weight-loss drug. But word is it can also make you poop the bed. (Full Story)
- The world’s largest t-shirt was unveiled in Romania. It’s 357 feet from top to bottom, and 241 feet wide. So, bigger than a football field. (Full Story)
- What’s something you’re willing to pay a little extra for? Reddit’s got opinions. (Full Story)
- A study found breathing less oxygen might help you live longer. As in, living at high altitudes. Holding your breath won’t help. (Full Story)
- A guy in Florida threw a brick through someone’s window, then claimed he was from the future and there to save a baby. He also took a dip in the homeowner’s pool. (Full Story)
- A guy in Massachusetts was arrested for throwing hundreds of screws on the road over the course of three weeks. (Full Story)
- An NYU professor was fired for threatening a“New York Post” reporter with a machete. (Full Story)
- Two people got arrested after a huge brawl at Chicago’s O’Hare airport. There’s a video of people fighting ON one of the baggage carousels. (Full Story)
- A 38-year-old Florida woman got a DUI after crashing her car with seven kids inside, who weren’t wearing seatbelts. One of them was hurt. She also got a DUI just last month and had kids in the car that time too. (Full Story)
- com says the best cities to get a summer job this year are Orlando . . . Scottsdale, Arizona . . . and Juneau, Alaska. (Full Story)
- Target is catching heat for pulling some of its Pride Month clothing. They say they did it to protect employees. Apparently, people who don’t want them selling stuff like that have been knocking over displays and harassing workers. (Full Story)
- Meanwhile, Bioré apologized for using the recent shooting at Michigan State to sell more deep-cleansing pore strips. For Mental Health Awareness Month, they had a student talk about it, and included the line, “Get it all out. Not only what’s in your pores, but most importantly what’s on your mind.” (Full Story)