Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- Stress and fatigue are the main causes for experiencing déjà vu.
- Baby hummingbirds know from birth to poop OUTSIDE of the nest.
- The earliest known site of human habitation in North America is a short drive from Pittsburgh. (???) It’s an archaeological site called Meadowcroft Rockshelter, and it was discovered in 1955 because of a groundhog hole. It claims to have evidence of human presence as early as 19,000 years ago.
- Wood frogs in Alaska can hold their pee for up to eight months during the region’s long winters. They relieve themselves once temperatures increase. The urine actually helps keep them alive while they hibernate, with special microbes in their gut turning it into nitrogen.
- The fax machine was invented in 1843 . . . way before the telephone was invented. The initial patent for a “facsimile machine” was for a “chemical telegram.”
Strange and trending news:
- Today is International Miniature Golf Day. Mini Golf was originally created in Victorian Scotland to allow women to play because it was considered unladylike for women to raise a golf club above their shoulder level. (But an over-the-top pirate theme WAS considered ladylike?)
- A crew of high school football referees in Ohio made a controversial call this past Friday, so someone trapped them in the locker room after the game by pushing a vending machine in front of the door. They’re filing charges. (Full Story)
- A couple of men in Mississippi saw a vehicle with a “free car” sign on it and found the keys inside. So, they took it . . . and later discovered there was a DEAD BODY in the trunk. (Full Story)
- There’s a guy named Peter Eastland, who’s known as the “Nose of Nissan.” His specialty is his acute sense of smell, and he’s in charge of maintaining the perfect “new car smell.” (Full Story)
- The average parent only gets 17 minutes of relaxation a day while on vacation with their kids. (Full Story)
- A suspicious beeping package was left in a public park in Pennsylvania earlier this month. The authorities found a single smoke detector inside. (Full Story)
- A badly composed bra ad went viral yesterday because it had a zoomed-in portion, which made it look like the woman had one normal breast . . . and one gigantic one. (Full Story) (The company later poked fun at themselves.)