Charges filed in South Wayne Street barricade situation

UPDATE (April 25, 2021):

The suspect involved in the April 15th armed barricade situation on South Wayne Street (previous release of information detailed below), has been identified as Jose Gallegos Cruz, 26, of Fort Wayne, IN. Since his surrender during the barricade situation, Cruz had been held in a local area hospital for medical evaluation.

On Tuesday, April 20th, Cruz was released from medical care, at which time he was served an arrest warrant by Fort Wayne Police Department officers based on charges stemming from the ICAC Task Force investigation, submitted and approved by the Allen County Prosecutor’s Office.

Cruz was taken to the Allen County jail where he was booked into custody on the following *charges:

Dissemination of Child Pornography, Level 5 Felony
Possession of Child Pornography (Under 12 years of age), Level 5 Felony
Possession of Child Pornography, Level 6 Felony

*Indiana State Police remind that all charges are merely allegations, and all criminal defendants should be presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.


FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) – Indiana State Police say that a barricaded subject situation just south of downtown on Thursday began as officers with state and local police and the Internet Crimes against Children (ICAC) Task Force attempted to serve a search warrant.

Indiana State Police released the following:
At approximately 9:30 am this morning, detectives from the Indiana State Police and Fort Wayne Police Department – Internet Crimes against Children (ICAC) Task Force- attempted to serve a search warrant at a home in the 2400 block of South Wayne Avenue, Fort Wayne.

As detectives were let into the home by the female homeowner, a 26-year-old adult male resident retreated into an upstairs bedroom, barricaded himself, and began making suicidal threats. Simultaneous to this action, detectives heard what they recognized as ammunition being loaded into a shotgun. The detectives vacated the house with the homeowner and set up a security perimeter.

The Fort Wayne Police Department Special Operations personnel (SWAT and Crisis Negotiators) were called in to assist in resolving the barricaded situation, taking over tactical operations at approximately 11:00 am. FWPD Crisis negotiators were able to establish communication with the barricaded gunman shortly before 12:00 pm. They diligently communicated with him on and off for nearly two and a half hours before finally getting him to voluntarily surrender.

Unfortunately, even after being repeatedly warned to exit the house unarmed, the man walked out of the house carrying a rifle. FWPD SWAT officers successfully employed less-lethal munitions, causing him to drop the rifle and immediately gained his voluntary compliance.

He was taken into custody without further incident around 2:30 pm, then transported to a local area hospital where he will be held pending a 72-hour mental medical evaluation.

Detectives were able to conduct and complete their search of the residence after the barricade situation was resolved. The criminal investigation remains ongoing at this point. No custodial arrest, nor criminal charges related to the investigation have been filed yet. Therefore the identity of the involved man shall remain withheld pending.

Once the investigation is complete, it will be turned over to the Allen County Prosecutor’s Officer for review and determination of any criminal charges to be filed.