Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– No one’s sure exactly which place in New Orleans was the inspiration for “House of the Rising Sun”. There are theories it’s a hotel, club, restaurant, brothel, or jail.
– Before the 1920s, the movie industry wasn’t in Hollywood. They filmed in Jacksonville, Florida in the winter, and New York the rest of the year. But Jacksonville politicians eventually kicked them out, and the whole industry moved to Los Angeles.
– New Zealand is named after a province in the Netherlands called Zeeland, spelled Z-E-E-L-A-N-D. And a Dutch explorer was the first person to spot New Zealand in 1642 . . . you know, not counting all the native people who already lived there.
– The first animated movie ever released in England was “Animal Farm” in 1954. It was funded by the CIA as part of a push to create more anti-communist propaganda.
– Mark Hamill is older now than Alec Guinness was when he played Obi-Wan in the original “Star Wars”. Hamill is 67, Guinness was 63.
Strange and trending news:
– It’s National Pi Day . . . the mathematical formula, not food. But a ton of chain restaurants are running pie and pizza promotions. (Full Story)
– It’s National Potato Chip Day, and a new survey found they’re one of the top five foods we feel GUILTY for eating. The top five are ice cream, chocolate, candy, cookies, and potato chips in fifth place. (Full Story)
– A poll asked 2,000 people what they spend their disposable income on. The top five answers were eating out, vacations, clothes, entertainment, and hobbies. (Full Story)
– People on Ranker.com were asked to name the best U.S. cities for beer drinkers. Cleveland is #1, followed by Asheville, North Carolina, Portland, Oregon, Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Chicago. (Full Story)
– March Madness starts next Tuesday. And WalletHub.com just ranked the top cities to live in if you’re a college basketball fan. The top three are Lawrence, Kansas, where the Jayhawks play . . . Durham, North Carolina, home of Duke . . . and Los Angeles, mostly because of USC and UCLA. (Full Story)
– “The New York Times” talked to a doctor who suggested we could all potentially boost our immune systems . . . by picking our nose more and eating it. (Full Story)
– A new high-tech breastfeeding gadget for DADS just debuted at South by Southwest. You strap it to your chest to breastfeed. Then it senses when your kid falls asleep . . . tracks their eating and sleeping patterns . . . and you can see it all on your phone. (Full Story)
– A car accident at a Taco Bell drive-thru in Omaha on Monday ended with one of the people jumping into the driver’s seat of the other person’s SUV . . . and driving it straight into a light pole. (Full Story)
– A drunk guy in Michigan was arrested on Tuesday after his car got stuck in a snowbank . . . and he started SHOOTING the snowbank out of anger. (Full Story)
– A 17-year-old kid in New Jersey who’s been homeless for a large portion of his life just got accepted to 17 different colleges. (Full Story)