Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– Archaeologists have found Civil War soldiers used hair dye to make themselves look better in photos.
– There are 12 teams in the NCAA’s Ohio Valley Conference . . . but none of them are from Ohio. They’re from Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi.
– After Janet Leigh watched herself in the famous shower scene in “Psycho”, she never took another shower . . . she only took baths for the rest of her life.
– Astronauts in space can’t do laundry, so dirty clothes from the International Space Station get sent out into space to burn up in Earth’s atmosphere.
– NASA has offices in a lab in a building in New York City . . . right above Tom’s Restaurant, which you’d recognize as the diner from “Seinfeld”.
Strange and trending news:
– More than 80% of people say they settle for things that aren’t the best, according to a new survey. And the top things we settle for are: Salary . . . our job . . . the house we live in . . . our car . . . friends . . . and our partner. (Full Story)
– Describe your job . . . but as a crime. Some examples are “I force children to stay in a small room to do paperwork without paying them,” which is a teacher . . . and “I’m a drug dealer,” which is a worker at a nutrition supplement store. (Full Story)
– One in four people have messed up a chore on purpose, just to get out of doing it in the future . . . including 18% of women and 32% of men. (Full Story)
– A mattress review website is looking to hire five couples to have sex on a bunch of different mattresses . . . and then review how it went. The couples will get $3,000 each and a free mattress. (Full Story)
– A family in Phoenix punished their 14-year-old for taking their car out for a joyride by moving all his stuff outside . . . and giving it all away. And the kid says he learned his lesson, quote, “I think it’s a fair punishment.” (Full Story)
– Kraft is trying to make mac-and-cheese a BREAKFAST food by giving out special boxes that say, “Macaroni & Cheese Breakfast” instead of “Macaroni & Cheese Dinner.” A survey found 56% of parents are letting kids eat it for breakfast more often right now. (Full Story)
– Mr. Magoo alert! A study found most people over 70 think their vision is fine. But researchers found 62% would see better with glasses or need to update their prescription. (Full Story)
– A woman in Pennsylvania caught a stranger in her house on Saturday . . . and as she forced him out, he asked if he could at least keep her fedora. She said no, and he was arrested for felony burglary and trespassing. (Full Story)