NACS brushes off mask lawsuit from parents

UPDATE (September 21, 2021):

Leaders in one Fort Wayne-area school district say they are not focused on a new lawsuit that challenges their mask mandate.

North Allen County Schools released a statement yesterday that said the school is focused on learning and brushed off the suit as something that will simply cost time and money.

Four parents are suing the school district, and Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb, as they say North Allen County School’s mask mandate oversteps the limited emergency powers the school and the governor have under Indiana’s new emergency power law.

Read more here

ORIGINAL STORY:

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) – A group of parents in one Fort Wayne-area school district are going to court to try to end their kids’ schools’ mask mandates.

Four parents filed a lawsuit last week on behalf of their 12 children accusing Governor Eric Holcomb, the state’s public health commissioner, North Allen County Schools’ superintendent, and three members of the North Allen County School board of overstepping their authority by ordering kids to wear masks.

The lawsuit says lawmakers recently limited emergency powers in the state, and the mask rules in North Allen County Schools go beyond those limits. North Allen County Schools re-instituted their mask requirement at the beginning of the month.

Read more here